Palm Oil is an edible vegetable oil that comes from the fruit of oil palm trees.
There are two types of oil we get from palm oil:-
(1) Crude palm oil – comes from squeezing the fleshy fruit. (2) Palm kernel oil – which comes out from crushing the stone in the middle (kernel) of the fruit.
Because of the high palm oil yield, it became the common ingredient for cooking in many parts of the world. Indonesia and Malaysia make up over 85% of the global supply but 42 other countries also produce palm oil.
Health and Nutrition Benefits of Palm Oil:-
Palm oil has the highest content of Vitamin E comprised of 2 subgroups namely the Tocotrienols and Tocopherols. Tocotrienols are mostly present in cereal grains while Tocopherols are mostly present in vegetable oils. Several studies have shown that tocotrienols possess unique biological properties including higher antioxidant potency and provide greater health benefits than the α-tocopherol form of vitamin E.
1) Hair Health: – Palm oil plays an important role in increasing hair growth.
2) Brain Health: – Palm oil is an excellent source of tocotrienols, a form of vitamin E with strong antioxidants properties that may support brain health.
3) Neuro Health: – Palm oil protects neurons via its antioxidative properties & anti-inflammatory action.
4) Heart Health: – Palm oil has been credited with protecting against heart disease. By lowering cholesterol levels & improving the health of the heart by slowing down the chances of heart diseases.
5) Bone Health: – Palm oil demonstrates protective effects against osteoporosis by improving bone volume & thickness.
6) Muscle Health: – It provides the missing energy sources to your body. Helps in retaining healthy balance & satiety, which is an important key for effective muscle recovery.
7) Peptic Ulcer Therapy: – It protects from gastric ulcers disease by reducing oxidative stress.
8) Skin Health: – Research says that palm oil help in removing wrinkles & scars heals wound, recovers damage caused from UVA radiations & increase skin moisture & elasticity.
9) Immune Health: – It boosts the immunity level by providing missing energy sources to the body.
Palm oil helps in food security: –
The search done by United Nation says that the earth will house 9 billion people by 2050. To cover their needs it is estimated that 150 million additional tons of oils and fats will be required each year. Production of this much oil will be a challenge, as it required lots of lands. At that time ability of oil palm to produce more food, using less land, fewer pesticides, and less fertilizer will become even more vital.
Palm oil – Land use efficiency:-
|150 million oil production||Hectares|
|Palm oil||38 million hectares|
|Rapeseed||187 million hectares|
|Sunflower||250 million hectares|
|Soybean||375 million hectares|
The above table shows that palm oil is going to be the best option as compare to rapeseeds, sunflower, soybean.
Palm oil and its many uses: –
Palm oil is in almost everything. Approximately 50% of the packaged products we find in supermarkets, everything from pizza, doughnuts, and chocolate, to deodorant, shampoo, toothpaste, lipstick, laundry detergents, fabric softeners, and household detergents. Yes… palm oil is used in eatable & noneatable products. It’s also used in animal feed and as a biofuel in many parts of the world. It is also used in industrial products like Printing Ink, Paint, pesticides.
Palm oil increases the taste & flavor of the food. It stables at high temperature for deep frying, makes the food crispier & increases self-life. Oil palm doesn’t have any flavor so if it is used in dessert, the original flavor of the dessert will maintain. Most of our dishes need oil & palm oil is the best option as it is trans-free. Palm oil can be a good replacement for vanaspati as it is vegan.
Is palm’s success its greatest enemy?
Insufficient knowledge & false information about palm oil is the biggest reason, why other oils overpower the usage of palm oil. Spreading proper awareness about palm oil will bring a big change in the oil industry.
Please visit their website on https://www.mpoc.org.in